Bona Fide Marriage Explained By New York Daily News

April 16, 2012 Leave a comment

In one of my previous post, I tried to explain bona fide marriage and list a set of documents needed to prove bona fide marriage. In the simplest term, bona fide marriage means that the marriage is real. Today, I came across this article published on April 13th, 2012 in New York Daily News which further explains this and answer some common questions about getting green card through marriage. Hope you find it informative and useful.


Changes in Fees for Visa Effective as of April 13 2012

April 13, 2012 Leave a comment

As mentioned in the previous post, changes to visa application fee is effective as of April 13th 2012. Today, the Department of State, DOS, issued clarification as to fees paid prior to the changes to the fees. To summarize:

Fees that will decrease are not refundable 

If you paid a visa fee before April 13, 2012 and that fee decreased, DOS cannot give you a refund.

Fees that will increase (only nonimmigrant fees)

If you paid your visa fee before April 13, 2012 AND, your visa interview is on or before July 12, 2012, you do not have to pay the difference between fee amount.

If your interview is after July 13, 2012, you will be required to pay the difference between the old and new fee amounts – no exceptions.

Fees Change for US Visa – April 13, 2013

April 4, 2012 3 comments

According to press release by US Department of State, there will be changes to the visa application fee starting on April 13, 2013. Some of the changes include:

Non-Immigrant Visa Processing Fees

Type of Visa

Previous Fee

New Fee

Tourist, Business, Transit, Crew Member, Student, Exchange Visitor, and Journalist visas



Petition-Based visas (H, L, O, P, Q, and R)



Treaty Investor and Trader visas (E)



Fiancé(e) visas (K)



Border Crossing Cards (age 15 and older)



Border Crossing Cards (under age 15)



Immigrant Visa Processing Fees

Type of Visa

Previous Fee

New Fee

Immediate Relative and Family Preference Applications



Employment-Based Applications



Other Immigrant Visa Applications



Diversity Visa Program Fee



Determining Returning Resident Status



For more information please visit:


Obama’s New Immigration Policy

April 3, 2012 Leave a comment

The Law Office of Andre Olivie - Blog

This post is about an earlier immigration policy change. To read about JULY 2012’s announcement on deferred action and work permits from certain YOUTH read my June 19th blogpost President Obama’s New Immigration Policy.



Lately, I have been getting a lot of questions about Obama’s new immigration policy. Some are under the impression that there is a new law granting legal status to undocumented immigrants. This is not the case. No new law has been enacted and anyone who tells you that they can get you a green card because of what President Obama has done is likely lying to you. The American Immigration Lawyers Association has provided the following Consumer Advisory about what the new policy is and isn’t.

What the new policy is NOT:

The Obama Administration announcement is NOT an amnesty, it is NOT about granting legal status, and is NOT something that you…

View original post 1,190 more words

Administratively Closed Cases and EADs

April 3, 2012 Leave a comment

Law-Related Reflections

DHS has stated that those people whose cases have been administratively closed may be eligible to apply for an employment authorization document (EAD) pursuant to recent announcements on recommended treatment of low priority deportation cases. However, the legal basis for the EAD, specifically, what factors might be used to grant or deny an EAD application under this policy and the validity period of the EAD have not been explained.

As such, no one should turn himself or herself in to immigration authorities hoping to get an EAD, assuming that he or she has a low priority case that will end up being administratively closed. As the DHS FAQ explains, such action carries a high risk that the individual will be placed in removal proceedings and instead of having his or her case administratively closed or terminated, he or she may be ordered removed.

View original post

Expired Green Card / Renewing Green Card: FAQ

January 18, 2012 3 comments

Am I out of status if my green card expires?

If your green card is expired, it does not mean you are out of status. Green card is proof of your immigration status of alien resident, an expired green card does not immediately affect your immigration status.

What is the consequences of holding an expired green card?

Section 264 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) states, “Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him… Any alien who fails to comply with [these provisions] shall be guilty of a misdemeanor”

What is the fee to renew green card?

The filing fees as of Jan. 19, 2012 is a total $450. (This includes the $365 filing fee plus the $85 biometric fee for a total of $450.)

How to apply to renew green card?

The form that needs to be filed is form I-90. If you are filing to renew an expired green card (NOT remove conditions) you may e-file.

Why Hire An Immigration Attorney?

January 18, 2012 Leave a comment

An “attorney” is any person who is eligible to practice law in and is a member standing of the bar of the highest court of any State, possession, territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or of the District of Columbia, and is not suspended, enjoined, restrained, or otherwise  restricted to practice law. Other than being licensed to practice law, below are some reasons why one should hire an immigration attorney over an consultant, agent, or notario.

1. Attorneys are licensed to practice law, legal malpractice by an attorney may lead to him/her losing their license temporarily or permanently.

2. Attorneys have the fiduciary duty to protect and look after the best interest of his or her client.

3. Attorneys are required to keep themselves up-to-date with changes in the law.


5. Attorney can represent you in court.

%d bloggers like this: