Archive for the ‘Green card’ Category

Bona Fide Marriage Explained By New York Daily News

April 16, 2012 Leave a comment

In one of my previous post, I tried to explain bona fide marriage and list a set of documents needed to prove bona fide marriage. In the simplest term, bona fide marriage means that the marriage is real. Today, I came across this article published on April 13th, 2012 in New York Daily News which further explains this and answer some common questions about getting green card through marriage. Hope you find it informative and useful.


Expired Green Card / Renewing Green Card: FAQ

January 18, 2012 3 comments

Am I out of status if my green card expires?

If your green card is expired, it does not mean you are out of status. Green card is proof of your immigration status of alien resident, an expired green card does not immediately affect your immigration status.

What is the consequences of holding an expired green card?

Section 264 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) states, “Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him… Any alien who fails to comply with [these provisions] shall be guilty of a misdemeanor”

What is the fee to renew green card?

The filing fees as of Jan. 19, 2012 is a total $450. (This includes the $365 filing fee plus the $85 biometric fee for a total of $450.)

How to apply to renew green card?

The form that needs to be filed is form I-90. If you are filing to renew an expired green card (NOT remove conditions) you may e-file.

New Design for EAD Cards

October 25, 2011 1 comment

To deter counterfeiting, obstruct tampering, and facilitate quick and accurate authentication launched a new design for EAD (Employment Authorization Document) Cards. EAD cards currently in circulation are still effective and do not need to be replaced until the expiration date.

The change of the design does not change  the process to apply for EAD Card. To see the new design please visit USCIS webpage.

Entrepreneur Immigration: Obama Jobs Council Report

October 12, 2011 5 comments

One of the problem facing a lot of foreign young entrepreneur who wishes to relocate to/remain in US is that there is no visa that is directly set up for them. The EB5 investor visa threshold is too high for these new startups, and one cannot sponsor himself/herself for H1B visa. While forming a corporation or partnership and file H1b and EB2/EB3 visa through that entity is an option, it involves finding trustworthy partners and giving up one’s control of the company. Due to these restraints and obstacles a lot of young startups give up the idea of relocating to US. This not only negatively impact US economy by discouraging up-and-coming businesses from coming to US but also take away new employment opportunities for US citizens.

The Obama Jobs Council acknowledges this issue and address it by calling for eased immigration rules for high-skilled foreigners, including automatic work permits or provisional visas to all foreign students after they earn science, technology, engineering or math degrees from U.S. colleges or universities. The report states “when it comes to driving jobcreation and increasing American competitiveness, separating the highly skilled worker component is critical. We therefore call upon Congress to pass reforms aimed directly at allowing the most promising foreign-born entrepreneurs to remain in or relocate to the United States.”


Premium Process EB-5

August 23, 2011 1 comment

Premium processing of EB-5, investor visa, will be available shortly. On Aug. 2, 2011, Department of Homeland Security released a statement stating that the implementation of the USCIS proposals to streamline the EB-5 application process will begin “within 30 days”. By choosing to pay an additional fee for premium processing, applicant will have their application processed within 15 calender days. This is especially useful in cases where Request For Evidence (“RFE”) is issued by USCIS because the RFE will have to be processed within 15 days as well. This not only provide a speedier application process, it gives the applicant a better timeline to plan their schedule accordingly. The other “fundamental enhancements” proposed by USCIS also includes “implementing direct lines of communication between the applicants and USCIS and providing applicants with the opportunity for an interview before a USCIS panel of experts to resolve outstanding issues in an application.”

I-797: Getting A Duplicate Copy

August 5, 2011 3 comments

I-797 is the approval notice of family green card petition. If you lose this document, you will need to file a I-824 to request a duplicate copy. The filing fee of I-824 is $405.00 and the average processing time of I-824 ranges from 3 months to 8 months.

If your original application or petition was approved by Vermont Service Center or Texas Service Center (receipt number starting with EAC or SRC), the I-824 should be mailed to USCIS Dallas Lockbox.

If your original application or petition was approved by California Service Center or Nebraska Service Center (receipt number starting with LIN or WAC), the I-824 should be mailed to USCIS Phoenix Lockbox.

Detailed instructions of how to complete the I-824 can be found here.


Green Card Tracker (EB Petitions)

June 1, 2011 Leave a comment

I found this useful website that let green card applicants estimate how many applications is before their own. The link is pretty self-explanatory and is helpful for applicants with pending applications.


%d bloggers like this: